Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Touchdown!



I am on the ground in Aukland, New Zealand awaiting my connecting flight over to Christchurch where Jake is scheduled to pick me up in about 3 hours. New Zealand is 18 hours ahead of the east coast, so add a day and subtract 6 hours to the present time in EST and you arrive at my time. If anyone needs/wants to know the future, I am here and I can help you out for a small fee.

My 13 hour flight across the Pacific Ocean was not all that bad. I was seated way back in row 61 and immediately missing the comforts of first class. The seat was a touch cramped, but since I'd been up since 8AM that morning, I knew I'd be able to get some sleeping in. Air New Zealand featured a nice selection of movies to choose from and I went with Flags of our Fathers which was entertaining, but probably would have been a bit more powerful had I not been viewing a 6 inch screen on the back of the seat in front of me. The dinner of chicken, potatoes and spinach was tolerable and I had a couple glasses of Pinot Noir to ease into sleep mode.

After the movie ended, I nodded in and out sleep for about 7 hours, which was pretty decent all things considered. Once I had determined I wasn't going to be sleeping much more, I launched into The Departed which is a phenomenal movie. I was served a bit of breakfast (which I may regret later) and then we began our descent into Aukland. I cleared customs no problem and after getting turned around a bit in this airport (there are essentially no directional signs anywhere; thank goodness this is an English speaking country!) I eventually made my way over to the Domestic Terminal and am now looking to board in about 40 minutes.

The sun just rose and I am now treated to a cool view of some mountains behind the runways.

1 comment:

Josh Mullen said...

jyd,

when getting ready to fly 19 hours or so back from china (and finding out that there had been a mix up in what city my final destination would be), i had a break down at the counter after they told me i would be placed in the middle of the 5 man across middle.

i just turned white, clutched onto the counter, and kept saying, i can't do the middle, please, i can't do the middle, i can't do the middle.

and you know what, they were happy to give me an exit row aisle seat. and, to my further surprise, i had a first class seat from NY to boston.

sometimes being crazy helps you, and sometimes it gets you "randomly" searched.

-josh

p.s. if you don't take at least one picture of a lord of the rings-esque country side... and post it on your blog within the next five days i am going to start boycotting it.